Sleep glorious sleep!
In 2017, 16 million people in the UK reported being sleep deprived, with almost a third of those saying they are insomniacs!!
In fact, our bodies will do a majority of its rejuvenation and repairing, when we are in slumber. Especially needed at this time of the year, when the party season is almost upon us!!
Bharti and her team give us her top tips for ensuring you get a great nights’ sleep and have the vitality and energy to make the most of the festive season.
Bharti Vyas, CEO, Get ‘prepared’ for sleep
- Block out any light from coming into your room – light tricks your brain into thinking it is day time.
- Keep your room at a comfortable temperature – not too hot and not too cold.
- Avoid watching television or looking at your phones or tablets before going to sleep.
- In a spray can, add a couple of drops of Ylang Ylang with some water. Then spray around your room – the essential oil ylang ylang will help calm your nervous system, if you cannot get Ylang Ylang, then use lavender or neroli oil instead.
- Massage your face with an aromatherapy oil blend to help calm your senses – Try my Special Oil.
- Aim to sleep at the same time every day
- Avoid cat napping through the day.
Shailu Karia, senior holistic Stress/beauty therapist and partner, Have a sea salt bath and de stress
Often clients find it hard to sleep as they may get tired leg syndrome or have general aches and pains – whether it is over doing it on the dance floor or generally having bad circulation from either chemical changes in the body or meds.
Relaxing into a warm bath can really help ease muscles. Try adding one fistful of Dead Sea Salt into a warm bath with a drop or two of ylang ylang, neroli or lavender oil. Close your eyes, put on your most soothing music, dim the lights, light a scented candle and just let go! Then rinse off and head straight for bed.
For those who are shouting “oh, I do not have a bath!!” then use the Ultimate Salt scrub. The salt scrub contains a delicious blend of essential oils, which are blended in with the salts from the Dead Sea. Just massage it onto your whole body (on dry skin) until the salts slough off. Then just step into a warm bath. Rinse and head straight for your bed.
Susan Palmer , Senior therapist@ Bharti Vyas, watch what you eat –
- Avoid eating one to two hours before sleeping – if your digestive track is having to work on digestion it can make you feel sluggish and full.
- Avoid eating wheat after 6 pm – wheat can be harder for your body to digest before bed.
- Drink a warm glass of cardamom water – add a few cardamom pods to hot water, cool a little the slowly sip. This will help relax your body into a serene sleep.
Priti Vyas, Cognitive Behavioural Hypnotherapist and partner, Mindful meditation before bed to ‘let go’ of sleep interfering thoughts,
Priti loves the ‘leaves on the stream’ mindfulness exercise. Just take a few deep breaths in..then imagine you are sitting in front of a beautiful stream, a stream where the sun is gently bouncing of the water playfully. While you are looking at the stream, imagine you can see leaves gently drifting by on the stream…the put any thoughts, worries or feelings onto the leaves and watch them float by into the distance. So have that thought and then watch it go too. This will train your mind to just dismiss those interfering thoughts and lull you into a peaceful sleep.
Bharti’s top product pick to get a sound sleep
The Ultimate Therapy Salt scrub 250ml, £22.50 https://www.bharti-vyas.com/product/salt-scrub/
Apply 30 minutes before you go to bed. Us eon dry skin and work in with large circular motions
Bharti’s Special Oil, 20ml £18.50 https://www.bharti-vyas.com/product/special-oil/– personally formulated by Bharti, containing calming oils including rosehip, saffron, argon, neroli and hemp oil. When preparing to sleep, massage into your face to relax and calm you
Liquid mineral salts, 250ml £12 https://www.bharti-vyas.com/product/liquid-mineral-salts/– a blend of liquid sea salts from the Dead Sea, to apply straight onto the body or in your bath to help to relax and ease tense muscles.